Emathar
ಠ_ಠ why are you not logged in? ಠ_ಠ

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Emathar
ಠ_ಠ why are you not logged in? ಠ_ಠ
Emathar
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Information

2 posters

Go down

General Information Empty General Information

Post  Terry Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:50 am

Another culture of Men in Emathar. These people are farmers, travelers, salesmen... They aren't considered artisans, and most keep their honor by working in some sort or job or trade, but Men of Odyssey are very diverse and most travel very often. Its not all too rare to observe these travelers interact with different races, and sometimes those from other races even travel with them to disguise themselves. Again, Men of Odyssey are very diverse and its hard to define them as a whole.
Terry
Terry
Admin

http://lazyredfox.com

Back to top Go down

General Information Empty Re: General Information

Post  B_Rad Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:02 pm

I'm thinking these folks could go by the Human name Adethon (pl. Edithyn).

Sound good?
B_Rad
B_Rad

Back to top Go down

Post  B_Rad Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:07 pm

One other note. These guys are regarded as a separate branch of humans, correct? Shouldn't they have their own thread on the main page?
B_Rad
B_Rad

Back to top Go down

Post  Terry Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:23 am

Well, heres what i'm trying to create. The "Men of odyssey" are a grab bag of different cultures, lifestyles and in a few cases, different races. They live all over the place - too much apart to be under one "kingdom" per se. Now, this may seem kinda weird right now, mainly because we only have one other human culture to think of, but once we create some other factions it will make more sense.

So, the "men of odyssey' aren't a culture, they are the "everybody else".

I would also like to create a different name for them... not "adethon" but something very simple... Short, to the point, maybe even derogatory if said by an upper-classmen. Nothing to fantasy-ish.

I'm going to create a forum called "men of odyssey" but we can rename it later.
Terry
Terry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  B_Rad Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:49 pm

I'm thinking that we could definitely have a separate derogatory name for these guys in the Common Language (translated as English). I would sill like to keep their name in the actual Mannish language as Edithyn, though. There is actually a derogatory pun built in to that name as it is. The "thon" is a cleverly changed version of the word "don" (seen in Caedhon, the name for the higher culture of men) which means "one who does something with skill". "Thon" means "one who does something average or in a mediocre way".

What if this derogatory moniker was "The Outskirters" or "The Unskilled" or something like that? That both of those are actually fairly close translations of the word Adethon. These guys would be like the gypsies of Emathar, which is cool.

I like the idea of the Edithyn being a ragtag group of people, but am not quite sure about them being from different races. Which races would we pull them from? I don't really think we should make up any new races as we have quite a few already.
B_Rad
B_Rad

Back to top Go down

Post  Terry Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:59 pm

Not gypsies... please, do not call them gypsies. I do not think that is cool...

the name thingy sounds cool though.
Terry
Terry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  B_Rad Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:43 pm

I was NEVER planning on calling them gypsies. I'm flad you like the non-gypsy naming idea. I say we roll with it as we have now reached a two-thirds majority.
B_Rad
B_Rad

Back to top Go down

Post  B_Rad Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:28 pm

UPDATE: The names of the human cultures are still undecided. As of right now, we are referring to the two branches by the English translations of their names
B_Rad
B_Rad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down